Subscribe to our Newsletter
Everyone’s been in that situation when you’ve either had been having a panic attack or anxiety attack. Or both. So, what do you do when you’re having one? These 5 steps have been proven to work.
1. Take a moment to breathe. Sometimes when we’re having an actual attack we forget to breathe. What works for me is to take a deep breath in and count to 5, slowly. Then let it out and count to 5, again. It repeat that until I feel better.
2. The 5-4-3-2-1 method. This method always works, I tell my friends to do this too. Look at 5 objects and think about what separates them from each other. Listen for 4 sounds and think about how they sound. Touch 3 objects, think about how they feel. Identify 2 smells. And list 1 thing you can taste. The 5-4-3-2-1 method brings you back to reality and it’s scientifically proven to help because it takes your mind off of the attack.
3. Go for a little walk. Getting out of the environment that triggered your attack can sometimes help. It also helps you get out of your head for a little bit.
4. I talk to my friends because it gives me a sense of relief. And it distracts me from the thought of my attack. And it’s nice to just get whatever you’re stressed, anxious or nervous about off of your chest.
Due to the tumultuous year of pandemic restrictions and Covid scares, THON was held virtually in 2021
5. Try to recognize you’re having an attack. Continue reading “Talk to a friend or loved one”